Every second thursday (except March, July and August) we will have a special CURRY Night at Afro Cafe. In the meantime you can try our famous chicken curry recipe at home. Enjoy!
- Grind the chillies (or chilli powder), onions or shallots, garlic, lemon grass, galangal and the stalks of coriander leaves in a mortar to a paste. Gradually add the oil. Alternatively, puree the ingredients in the blender or food processor. Add grated black lemon.
- Roast the coriander seeds and cumin without fat, grind into powder in a mortar and mix salt into the paste
- Use the paste immediately or store in a jar and refrigerate. The paste lasts 3-4 weeks. The curry paste is ideal for meat, poultry and vegetable dishes.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Sauté chicken pieces and put them on the plate and set aside. Sauté the onions and garlic in a low heat for 10 minutes. Add curry paste, let it simmer 2-3 minutes while stirring. Stir in the stock and coconut cream, coconut milk, lemon grass, lemon leaves. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor. Pass through a sieve into a clean pot.
- Place Kenya Beans in boiling salted water. Then quench in ice water. After that, take beans out and put them aside.
- Add the chicken pieces to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the Kenya Beans to cook.
- Season with salt & pepper. Serve with rice or inside a loaf or roll of bread (bunny chow). Garnish with cilantro.
If you want to taste the original curry in the Afro Cafe, don’t miss our Curry-Night.